Talking Points for a Student Led Conference: (4 to 7 minutes)
a. Overall Self-Reflection
b. Study Habits
c. Performance
d. Effort
e. Behavior
f. Participation
g. Improvement
h. Core Curriculum ReflectionStudent Sample:
Overall Reflection:
(Student gives a personal narration about how they learn best - try with no script)
Study Habits:
I try to do all of my home work at school or I try to do it on the ride home or I complete it when I get home. I go as fast as I can to complete it as soon as possible. I usually remind myself about my homework by writing the assignments on my hand. Mr. Smith usually comments to me about not writing it in my calendar versus writing it on my hand.
Performance and Effort:
When a project comes along I do as much as I can before it’s due. Starting with the battery project, I was started with the concept of building an airplane, but on the day before it was due, my partner and I new that it would not work. We chose to change the airplane project into a crane project and after a few minor changes, we were successful.
Classroom Behavior and Participation:
In Mr. S’s room my behavior is so-so. Sometimes I talk with my friends or do disruptive things. In Ms. S’s my behavior is O.K. because I like being around Ms. S. I talk with her a lot in class and I find that we get a long very well together. If you discuss sports with her, she ends up off-task.
How will you improve these as the year continues:
I need to work on my social interaction in class. I tend to talk with the person I sit next to or the person across from me. I need to stop doing this because it disrupts the class and I end up not getting my work done. I end up interrupting my classmates work, too.
Writing and Reading:
Writing Example: Autobiography (visual aid for parents)
Reflection: To Kill A Mocking Bird example
Goals: I need to really work hard on my spelling and reading skills. I have a difficult time with spelling words and I tend to spell phonetically. My reading goes fairly well and I want to read faster. My comprehension is O.K. and I have to review what I have to read sometimes.
Project 1:
Reflection - 20 Years Project
For my “20 Year Project” my teacher gave me a choice to do it or not because I missed most of it when I went to Hartland, up in the mountains for a week. I ended up not doing it because of this reason.
Have all homework, quizzes, and tests in your student conference binder
In my student led conference all of my home work is there for Scenic all of the stuff that we are doing in there.
Math and Science:
Journal Example: Share 2 entries from each journal
(Binder for each subject)
Teach a math concept:
I will be teaching you how to make a player wheel card.
1 – Find the players stats
2 – Divide by the # of plate appearances
3 – Change the decimal ratio into a representation of a circle (degrees of a circle)
Science: Science Fair update
My science fair project is going good and I am working on the model and finding hair spray to fuel it. I am attempting to build a potato launcher that will send a projectile (the potato) a certain distance through the air. I am attempting to find out which hair spray product will fuel the launcher the best. The fuel will determine the distance of the potato.
GOALS FOR THE FUTURE
My main goal is to become a better writer and reader and achieve higher grades on my tests. This will happen by taking better notes and paying attention in class. I want to succeed in my education and I know I am capable of these things.
Write 5 goals with parent at the end of the conference:
1_________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
2_________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
3_________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
4_________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
5_________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
Presentation of Learning
What is a POL? This is a 7-10 minute presentation given to your invited audience on TWO projects that you have completed so far this year. At least ONE of the TWO projects that you present on must be from one of your core classes.
When do we work on this? We will give you one period in Humanities and one period in Math/Science. During this time you should work on putting together a POL OUTLINE for the two projects you are presenting to your audience. You should present your POL on a Tri-fold board or some other type of visual display. We encourage students to bring in visual aids to help explain their project, for example your Neolithic Village, Fermi Book etc.
Here is what should be included in your POL OUTLINE.
1. Introduction
· Name
· Grade
· Team
2. Project description - this should be a general and broad synopsis of your project. Using as few words as possible to describe what you did. This must be less than 3 sentences. No bullets.
3. Requirements - more specific. What did you have to do? What did you have to turn in? What was required to complete the project? Use bullet points.
4. Steps - this is the most specific. Go in order of what steps you needed to take to complete each requirement. Use bullets. Use words like: first, next, after, then, eventually, finally, etc.
5. Skills you learned - do some soul searching. If you did something that you haven’t done before, chances are that you learned something. What was it? Try to put it into words. Use bullets.
6. Reflection - look at the reflection you did in class immediately following the project. Use bullet points to list challenges, successes, surprises, etc.
7. Interactive Activity – create an activity/lesson/game that will engage your audience. This could be a quiz on your POL, or a small lesson. For example, last year I had a student in a Sign Language elective and she had us all learn our names in Sign language.
Sample Student P.O.L Script:
Intro:
Hello everyone and welcome to my presentation of learning.
Project 1:
The first project that I shall present is my Medieval Play Project. This project had many purposes. One of them was to learn how to write good plays. My partner and I had to rewrite it many times, keeping making it accuracy and interesting in mind. Also by writing and performing our play, my partner, Jackie Gaynor, and I learned a lot about medieval times. Some things we learned about where the Spanish Inquisition and the life of our main character Isabella. It is important to learn about such times in history, the Spanish inquisition, for example, because we need to try to keep these things from happening again.
The requirements of this project where that we had to:
Make it historically accurate
Around 30 minutes long
And it had to take place in medieval times.
Our play did fit all of these requirements. For those who have seen it you know that it did take place in medieval times, was about 30 minutes long and was mostly historically accurate.
Creating our play was a long process. While our actors began the project mid-December, my partner and I started in mid-november. First, we planned the project, and then we wrote it, and then we turned it in. But it wasn’t quite as good as we had hoped, so we used our Thanksgiving break, researching and rewriting the play it. Then we where finally done.
But now it was time for producing the play. I was and actress, so I had to memorize my lines Then we learned to act. Where to stand where to sit, how to say the words. And then finally of January 26, 2006 at 7:00 pm we performed. And after about 2 and ½ months we where done.
As I said earlier, two concepts that I learned where to write good plays and to create a good performance. Some big ideas that I learned about are the Spanish inquisition and the detail of how Isabella and Ferdinand helped Christopher Columbus.
Reflection:
I was very proud of myself that I was able to create a play and have it picked to be performed and that I was able to stand up and be onstage for the performance, because I get very nervous with public speaking, but I was proud that I did it. Though the performance process had many roadblocks. There was always worries of “we might not have lights” “we might not have mikes” “The mikes aren’t working” and “We might not have risers”. But luckily we where able to have risers, lights and mikes thanks to Mr. Smith.
Project 2:
I will now present my second project. This project is my self portrait project. The purpose of this project was to learn the proportions of the face and to practice using them. The requirements of this project where:
That there was no white
That you use proportions of the face
you couldn’t rush
and to try our hardest
First we sketched our faces, then we did it over with charcoal, and with more detail. But before we created our self portraits we had to learn the proportions of the face. To do so we did self portraits grids. Then we got to do our self portraits with charcoal.
Before this project, I did not know how to do the proportions of the face and how to use charcoal.I was very proud that I could complete a portrait that looked good. Though, I did have a lot of trouble drawing teeth, eyes, and hair.
These are the proportions of the face (show bored with proportions of the face)
This was my finished project (show self portrait)
Now I shall ask you questions about drawing a face.
How many eyes should you be able to fit across your face?
Where should your eyes be located?
Where should your nose be?
Where should your lips be?
Reflection:
I really like how the RSCS Community teaches their students. I think that is affective, and more interesting. Last year, I hated school. IT wasn’t interesting. We just did busy work. There was no one on one time and we rarely did projects that we enjoyed.
Here I look forward to class, and find myself rushing there so excited to begin. I am challenged, and helped so that I can improve.
Project based learning has been great for me. I learn so much and enjoy it. And if I am supposed to work with a group to create a PowerPoint on cells, besides learning about cells I also learn how to work well in groups, and I learn how to make a good PowerPoint. So we earn many skills by doing these projects and many of these can help us in later life. Even our P.O.L.s. If someone here choose to go to graduate school, they have to presentations similar to P.O.L.s
This year I have grown a lot in Math. Last year, I wasn’t what you would call a math wiz, and now I am doing a lot better, I am more excited to go to class, and to do math. Also since this year has began, I have learned to work with others better. So my experiences here have been really great for me.
That concludes my presentation. Thank you
No comments:
Post a Comment